Week Fifteen

Slowly but surely we are getting there but now we are at the point where a lot of what we are doing is detailing or those fiddly jobs I have been putting to one side.

As I said last week the start of this week was all about plumbing. Deciding where the components should go in relation to one another was time consuming and I think I moved the pump 4 times, only a few millimetres and guess what – yes it is back where I had it in the first place.

I am quite pleased with myself because I was worrying about the amount of pipe below the floor. In the end I have got all but a bit of waste pipe above the floor and saved some run length into the bargain. I decided to use reinforced hose from the tank to the pump and water heater before changing to 12mm John Guest push fit. We have fitted Bullfinch external type showers in the toilet cubicle and just inside the back door. The point being that we have only one shower hose, it has a trigger spray and doesn’t need to be connected if we aren’t using it.

I soon discovered fittings I was short of or had got wrong such as connections to the showers which are oddly 15mm push fit and then I realised I needed a couple of valves at the lowest point to allow me to drain down for maintenance or winter storage. So that resulted in a trip to Johns Cross and another order to Caravan Accessories.

Another piece of kit to finalise was the fridge compressor. This can be located up to 1500mm from the fridge so I have it right at the back of the van while the actual fridge is in the kitchen area. I boxed it in but with good ventilation. The point of this is that any noise (regardless of its night mode setting) is as far away from us as possible.

Looking at the equipment a lot of it came with chunky wires. I got worried that whilst I had used suitably rated cables they were nowhere near the size of the tails. Their reasoning is voltage drop and I decided to bite the bullet and pull some larger cables through. Only one fought back because it followed a difficult route but we managed. With all the equipment installed and cables upgraded it was time to put the fuses in. The fridge worked fine as did the toilet lights and extractor. Next the hob which worked but wasn’t getting diesel properly. I primed the line by sucking on it but without any luck. Then I saw that the pipe had a loop in it just before the unit and by eliminating that it fired up and ran beautifully. The only bit of kit that is playing up is the hot water heater which looks like it has a duff fuel pump.

Meanwhile the seat cushions came back from the upholsterer so our next job was to finish the vinyl wall covering before they got fitted. That was followed by the lining and lighting in the headboard unit.

We topped the week off installing our tables. We have two one small day table and a larger dining table made for us by Chippy’s Workshop. They look great and and the dining table can be used from the front seats and the seat bed. The dining table stores neatly behind the fridge.

I also took delivery of and fitted a Thule bike rack – far better that the Fiamma one that it replaced and which didn’t fit.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.